TCI Closer to Blood Donation Law PAHO urging the Policy

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:#blooddonationsneeded, #giveblood, #lindabarnespaho, #pahointci, #tcibloodbank Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, October 13, 2016 – Blood Donations need to be dramatically increased as the country sees more and more medical procedures done on island; the Bank is often making urgent pleas to the public and a recent workshop exposed that this situation needs to change.“I think that generally, Turks and Caicos has done a very good job, but in considering how the health infrastructure has grown and more procedures are being conducted locally, the blood supply need to grow accordingly.  And when I looked at the data about the number of blood units collected year over year, it has shown dramatic increase, but even today I was informed that there is urgency in getting blood to the hospital because it’s affecting patient care if they do not get blood donors in the door.”Linda Barnes is from the Pan American Health Organization, and not only was she here for a two day workshop aimed at strengthening our blood bank system; but she was here to help us to draft a national policy; something PAHO is requiring all countries to do.  “So we talked a lot about strategies, we actually  completed a draft policy on universal access to safe blood, so we will be positioning Turks and Caicos to respond to PAHO’s request that we put a blood policy in place, and we also talked about real down to earth strategies, good ideas, what I’ve seen in the different countries that I’ve worked in ranging from central Asia to sub-Saharan Africa and now the Caribbean.”A regular pattern of blood donation is key and Barnes said the mix of public and private practitioners were exceptional and motivated to see the policy established in law and to find ways to engage more community groups so that the Blood Bank is never broke of having safe and universal access to blood.last_img read more

Jury orders Rams to pay 125 million for Reggie Bush injury

first_imgJury orders Rams to pay $12.5 million for Reggie Bush injury AP June 13, 2018 Posted: June 13, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News, Trending FacebookTwittercenter_img Updated: 10:39 AM ST. LOUIS (AP) — A jury in St. Louis on Tuesday ordered the NFL’s Rams to pay former running back Reggie Bush $12.5 million for a severe knee injury he suffered in 2015, the team’s final season in St. Louis before moving to Los Angeles.The jury found the Rams 100 percent liable for Bush’s injury and ordered the team to pay $4.95 million in compensatory damages and $7.5 million in punitive damages, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.Attorneys for the Rams said they plan to file a motion for a new trial.Bush was playing for the San Francisco 49ers when he was pushed out of bounds during a game on Nov. 1, 2015, at what was then the Edward Jones Dome, now known as the Dome at America’s Center. He slipped on a surface that the lawsuit dubbed the “concrete ring of death,” about 35 feet (11 meters) behind the 49ers’ bench.Bush suffered a season-ending left knee injury. The lawsuit contended the injury undermined his earnings as a player for the rest of his career. He signed with Buffalo in 2016 and retired in 2017. Now 33, he works as an analyst for the NFL Network.“Reggie lost his ability to do what he loved, and to bargain for a contract that he worked his entire life for,” Bush’s lawyer Tim Cronin said during closing statements. “These players get chewed up. They only have so many chances.”Bush also sued public agencies that own and operate the dome, but a judge dismissed them from the suit last week after ruling that the team had control of game-day operations.Just a week before Bush’s injury, Cleveland Browns quarterback Josh McCown slid across the same concrete stretch and injured his shoulder.The concrete surface in the dome was covered with rubber padding two weeks after Bush was injured.Rams attorney Dan Allmayer said the team should not be held responsible for Bush’s injury because it could not have foreseen a dangerous condition. He noted that no one besides McCown and Bush had been injured there over 20 seasons played at the dome.Allmayer said Bush’s injury was caused by “pre-existing issues,” not the fall on the concrete.NFL owners approved the request from Rams owner Stan Kroenke to move the team to Los Angeles in 2016 AP, last_img read more

WHS Football Team Is Looking For Corporate Sponsors

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — Below is a message from the Wilmington High School Touchdown Club:The Wilmington High School Boys Football Teams are currently looking for corporate sponsorships for their upcoming 2019 Football Season. We are hoping that you will support the team with a donation and/or sponsorship.Your support for the team will publicize your business while showing your commitment to the young athletes in our community. We will include your business on our Team t-shirts, your company name and logo will be featured on our website and Facebook page and a sponsorship banner will be displayed at every home Football game. The monies raised will help to support the boys’ high school Football team by paying for expenses not covered by the athletic budget and continue to provide scholarships to our deserving football players. This last graduating senior class recipients received $2000 in scholarships. The Touchdown club provides items throughout the season for the players, such as HUDL program for filming of games, hitting blocks, football camps, and head sets for the football coaches.We hope you will consider participating in our effort to raise funds for the Wilmington High School Football Team. Any level of donation or sponsorship would be gratefully appreciated. In order to get your business advertisement published for our upcoming season, we will need to receive your sponsorship by August 9, 2019. (The sponsorship form can be found HERE.) The football preseason begins on August 16th. If you have any questions or would like additional information feel free to call Nancy Roberts, WHS Touchdown Club President at 978-317-0909. Thank you in advance for your consideration.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… Related5 Things To Do In Wilmington On Friday, August 9, 2019In “5 Things To Do Today”1st Annual Cornhole Battle Of The WHS Football Alumni Set For September 21In “Community”Wilmington Band Parents Soliciting Business & Family Donors For 2019-2020 BannerIn “Community”last_img read more

Oil up 4 percent as Saudis mull meeting tighter market forecast

first_imgOil prices jumped the most in a month, rising more than 4 percent on Thursday, after comments from the Saudi oil minister about possible action to stabilize prices triggered a round of buying and the International Energy Agency forecast crude markets would tighten in the second half of 2016.Saudi Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih said OPEC members and non-members would discuss the market situation, including any action that may be required to stabilize prices, during an informal meeting on Sept. 26-28 in Algeria.The comments by the minister of the world’s top oil exporter triggered fund buying and some short covering, giving a boost to prices, traders and brokers said.Many traders remain skeptical of the outcome of the meeting, expecting a repeat of the Doha meeting in April when talks fell through after Saudi Arabia backed out, citing Iran’s refusal to join in a so-called production freeze.The IEA, which advises large developed economies on energy policy, forecast a healthy draw in global oil stocks in the next few months that would help ease a glut that has persisted since 2014 on the back of rising OPEC and non-OPEC supply.”The markets clearly are deriving support from both the IEA report and statements from the Saudi oil minister,” said Andrew Lebow, senior partner at Commodity Research Group in Darien, Connecticut.”In a crude market that has seen a combined increase of 200,000 gross short speculative positions over just the past six weeks, any talk of a potential coordinated effort from producers, no matter how unlikely the prospect, will lead to short covering.”Both benchmarks notched their biggest daily percentage gain in a month. U.S. crude CLc1 settled at $43.49 per barrel, up $1.78 or 4.3 percent, while Brent crude LCOc1 closed $1.99 or 4.5 percent higher at $46.04, after both jumped more than 5 percent during the session.Many analysts say they see oil prices trading within a range for the next few weeks, but if Saudi Arabia talks up the market, the potential for a significant drop in prices are high.”The Saudis benefit from talking this market up … they buy a little time and give the market a chance to acquire better balance,” said Jim Ritterbusch, president of Chicago-based energy advisory Ritterbusch & Associates.”If at the end of the day the Saudis don’t go along with an agreement to cut production, the market will go right down, just like last time.”U.S. refined products futures, including gasoline RBc1 and diesel HOc1, jumped after Motiva Enterprises LLC’s [MOTIV.UL] 235,000 barrel per day Convent, Louisiana, refinery was evacuated due to a fire at a hydrocracker around midday on Thursday.Ultra-low sulfur diesel futures soared 5 percent to a session high of $1.3934 a gallon, their highest since July 21 after the news.Diesel crack spreads 1HOc1-Clc1, a key measure of margins for refiners, jumped as much as 7.7 percent to a high of $14.72 during the session. read more