Since its inception in 1999, Blender magazine has tried to distinguish itself as an alternative to the Rolling Stone establishment of rock journalism.Now it appears to be following Rolling Stone in blurring the advertising-editorial line.In its January-February issue, Blender published the “2008 Rock & Roll User’s Guide,” a 16-page new music preview sponsored by Sync, Microsoft’s in-car voice-activated technology. In it, a small logo that reads “Presented by Sync/Powered by Microsoft” appears on five of the section’s 10 editorial pages, with the other six pages devoted to Sync-related ads. Four of those logos ask readers to log onto fordvehicles.com/sync for free MP3 downloads. “I would say that this is a clear violation of our guidelines,” American Society of Magazine Editors executive director Marlene Kahan told FOLIO: on Monday. According to the American Society of Magazine Editors, “sponsorship language (ie, “sponsored by,” “presented by,” etc.) should not appear in connection with regularly occurring editorial features” unless the editorial content “is labeled ‘Advertisement’ or ‘Promotion’ in a type size as prominent as the magazine’s normal body type.” [SEE: ASME Guidelines.]A spokesperson for Blender said the section was purely editorial and that the preview was written prior to selling the sponsorship. A spokesperson for the Alpha Media Group, the owner of Blender and Maxim, declined to comment on the details of the sponsorship, and said that the company is commited to adhering to the guidelines set forth by ASME.The Blender feature comes on the heels of a class action lawsuit filed by 185 indie rock bands in December against Rolling Stone over a sponsored nine-page pull-out spread that the bands said used their names without permission.Five of those bands represented in the class action suit appear in the Blender preview. Representatives for My Morning Jacket, one of the bands appearing in both, declined to comment.The Rolling Stone suit followed a separate lawsuit filed by attorney generals in eight states against R.J. Reynolds—the section’s sponsor—claiming the company illegally used cartoons in an advertorial to sell cigarettes. Rolling Stone said the cartoons were part of its editorial treatment—and not R.J. Reynolds’ idea.RELATED DISCUSSION: Does Anyone Care About ASME Guidelines?
Here’s What You Should Know Before Dipping Your Toes In The Online Dating Pool Close Earlier this week, Google suspended the Chinese developer – Do Global, which was reported to committing the Ad click fraud by automatically clicking on ads on behalf of users, according to BuzzFeed News. The Search giant removed nearly 50 apps of the developer, which were registered under Do Global and under some other generic names like “Pic Tools Group” and “Photo Artist Studio”. Now, renowned file managing app – ES File Explorer – seems to face the wrath of Google. The search giant has unlisted the ES File Explorer from the Play Store.ES File Explorer is a well-known and longest running file manager, though its popularity has declined as it passed from one developer to another. Recently, it is uploaded under the name of ‘ES Global’ on the Play Store, though the app is actually owned by ‘Du Global’. As LinkedIn confirms, Du is a subdivision of DO Global, which is caught in the Ad click fraud scandal.A few years back, ES File Explorer was listed among the best file manager apps for Android. But since it sold to the third party and stayed in news for bad causes – unwanted charging screen, an unwavering stream of ads, and an unsettling vulnerability allowing others to steal your files by being on the same network – many users switched to alternative apps like Solid Explorer or Files by Google. ES File Explorer removed from Play StoreES File ExplorerDO Global had round 100 apps on the Play Store and had a total of 600 million installs. Last year, in a similar course of action, 8 apps from Cheetah Mobile and its subsidiary Kika were removed by Google due to similar ad fraud. Google asked the developer to resubmit its apps with an improved version.QuickPic, one of these notorious apps owned by Cheetah Mobile, has now been listed on Play Store again. In a statement, the company said to Android Police that QuickPic was not removed due to click fraud. Same way, Google can ask DU Global to resubmit its apps and ES File Explorer might return with changes in future. Until then, if you are using ES File Explorer, then you should uninstall it and should wait for an improved version or use an alternate app. Google Play Protect system now scans over 50 billion apps on users’ devices each day to make sure apps installed on the device aren’t behaving in harmful waysGoogle Blog (screen-shot)Moreover, Do Global has also released its official statement regarding the recent scandal. The company has claimed to do an internal investigation and has apologized for irregularities in some of their products. IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPauseMute0:01/2:09Loaded: 0%0:01Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE-2:08?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading …
Oil prices jumped the most in a month, rising more than 4 percent on Thursday, after comments from the Saudi oil minister about possible action to stabilize prices triggered a round of buying and the International Energy Agency forecast crude markets would tighten in the second half of 2016.Saudi Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih said OPEC members and non-members would discuss the market situation, including any action that may be required to stabilize prices, during an informal meeting on Sept. 26-28 in Algeria.The comments by the minister of the world’s top oil exporter triggered fund buying and some short covering, giving a boost to prices, traders and brokers said.Many traders remain skeptical of the outcome of the meeting, expecting a repeat of the Doha meeting in April when talks fell through after Saudi Arabia backed out, citing Iran’s refusal to join in a so-called production freeze.The IEA, which advises large developed economies on energy policy, forecast a healthy draw in global oil stocks in the next few months that would help ease a glut that has persisted since 2014 on the back of rising OPEC and non-OPEC supply.”The markets clearly are deriving support from both the IEA report and statements from the Saudi oil minister,” said Andrew Lebow, senior partner at Commodity Research Group in Darien, Connecticut.”In a crude market that has seen a combined increase of 200,000 gross short speculative positions over just the past six weeks, any talk of a potential coordinated effort from producers, no matter how unlikely the prospect, will lead to short covering.”Both benchmarks notched their biggest daily percentage gain in a month. U.S. crude CLc1 settled at $43.49 per barrel, up $1.78 or 4.3 percent, while Brent crude LCOc1 closed $1.99 or 4.5 percent higher at $46.04, after both jumped more than 5 percent during the session.Many analysts say they see oil prices trading within a range for the next few weeks, but if Saudi Arabia talks up the market, the potential for a significant drop in prices are high.”The Saudis benefit from talking this market up … they buy a little time and give the market a chance to acquire better balance,” said Jim Ritterbusch, president of Chicago-based energy advisory Ritterbusch & Associates.”If at the end of the day the Saudis don’t go along with an agreement to cut production, the market will go right down, just like last time.”U.S. refined products futures, including gasoline RBc1 and diesel HOc1, jumped after Motiva Enterprises LLC’s [MOTIV.UL] 235,000 barrel per day Convent, Louisiana, refinery was evacuated due to a fire at a hydrocracker around midday on Thursday.Ultra-low sulfur diesel futures soared 5 percent to a session high of $1.3934 a gallon, their highest since July 21 after the news.Diesel crack spreads 1HOc1-Clc1, a key measure of margins for refiners, jumped as much as 7.7 percent to a high of $14.72 during the session.
U.S. Coast GuardAnchor-handling tugboats battle the blazing remnants of the off shore oil rig Deepwater Horizon.A man from Katy, Texas is still unaccounted for after an oil rig explosion in Louisiana. The U.S. Coast Guard suspended its search for Timothy Morrison on Monday. The incident comes amid a broader re-thinking of drilling rig safety rules. The explosion happened in Louisiana waters, and the platform wasn’t subject to federal regulations.Still, being on any rig is inherently dangerous. We know that from the Deepwater Horizon disaster, and regulators are rethinking rules designed to keep that scale of an explosion from happening again.“The ultimate goal is to identify ways to remove or reduce some of the burden on the industry,” said Greg Julian, a spokesperson for the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement, which is handling the review.At a September forum in Houston, the Bureau heard recommendations from oil and gas companies. The American Petroleum Institute has a 50-page list of parts of the rule it wants deleted or changed. Companies say it costs time and money, and the administrative burdens distract from a focus on safety.Alexandra Adams, with the Natural Resources Defense Council, doesn’t agree.“This review is just simply bad policy and puts workers, and our resources, at risk,” she said.There’s still no timeline on when the Bureau’s review will be completed. Share
00:00 /00:46 Harris County may soon make it a lot easier for residents to vote on Election Day. County Clerk Diane Trautman is set to unveil a plan for countywide voting centers Tuesday at Harris County Commissioners Court.Trautman wants to make it possible for anyone to vote on Election Day at any of Harris County’s 700-plus polling locations. Currently, county residents have multiple options during early voting, but on Election Day, they can only cast a ballot in their home precinct.“I witnessed personally at several different polling locations on Election Day voters being turned away because they were confused about where their assigned voting location was or something changed or they just didn’t have the information,” Trautman said. “If you multiply those 700 locations times anywhere from 10 to 100 people being turned away, that’s a lot of disenfranchised voters.”Trautman made transitioning to Election Day voting centers one of her top campaign pledges when she ran for election last year. Fifty-two other Texas counties already operate such voting centers. This week’s commissioners court will open with a round of public hearings to determine whether Harris County becomes number 53. Listen To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: X Share
Categories: Lucido News,News 12Apr House approves Rep. Lucido’s bill allowing parents to better protect their children The Michigan House today approved state Rep. Peter Lucido’s legislation allowing parents, foster parents and guardians to better protect their families by legally allowing them to monitor their children’s phone conversations and electronic devices.Under current law, it is illegal to overhear, record, amplify, or transmit private conversations without the permission of everyone involved, regardless of their age.In Michigan, it’s legal for a participant in a conversation to record it, but not a third party who is not a part of the conversation.“Parents, foster parents and guardians are and should be responsible for their children, and the opportunity to listen to the conversations is a good way to prevent children from serious danger,” said Lucido, of Shelby Township. “We must remain vigilant to ensure the safety of our children and our communities.”Lucido’s bill confirms the right of parents, foster parents and guardians to monitor their children’s phone calls and electronic devices until the child turns 18 and parents are no longer legally responsible for their behavior.House Bill 4891 advances to the Senate for further consideration.###
The continued strength of YouTube along with mobile gains helped Google parent company Alphabet to report significant second quarter growth.Speaking on the company’s Q2 earnings call, Google CEO Sundar Pichai said that YouTube showed “strong momentum” and said that video is the “killer format on mobile”.Though the company did not break out specific figures for YouTube, Pichai reiterated its claim that YouTube reaches “more 18-34 and 18-49 [year-olds] than any other TV network, broadcast or cable.”“Every indication we see is that the growth is very, very strong, being driven by mobile, and it’s growing globally as well. Overall, I think engagement is very, very healthy,” he said.The Google boss revealed that more than 1,000 YouTube content creators are now crossing the 1,000 subscribers mark every day.He also highlighted the gains YouTube is making in the live video space, with YouTube’s live–stream time up threefold since the beginning of the year.The service also now supports 360 degrees live video and also the ability for creators to ‘go live’ direct from the YouTube mobile app.“Earlier in the quarter, we teamed up with BT to live–stream the Champions League and Europa League finals on YouTube in the UK. This special event was UK’s biggest ever live–stream,” said Pichai.“All these innovations are a big reason why partner revenue has averaged 50% growth over the last three years.”Overall, for the quarter ended June 30, Alphabet reported a 21% year-on-year increase in revenue to US$21.5 billion (€19.4 billion), while net income climbed 24% to US$4.88 billion.Alphabet chief financial officer, Ruth Porat, said that the primary driver for growth was the increased use of mobile search by consumers and that the company also benefited from solid growth in desktop and tablet search as well as continued strength in YouTube and programmatic advertising.“Our terrific second quarter results, with 21% revenue growth year on year, and 25% on a constant currency basis reflect the successful investments we’ve made over many years in rapidly expanding areas such as mobile and video. We continue to invest responsibly in support of our many compelling opportunities,” said Porat.