President Donald Trump said “we have to do something” about social media companies. Getty Images President Donald Trump is again alleging that social media companies are biased against conservatives.During a joint press conference with Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro on Tuesday, Trump said “we have to do something” about social media companies discriminating against conservatives on their platforms. “Something is happening with those groups of folks that are running Facebook, Google and Twitter,” said Trump. “I do think we have to get to the bottom of it … It’s collusive and it’s very, very fair to say that we have to do something about it.”Trump’s comments came after he was asked whether he’d consider laws that made social media platforms liable for content posted on their sites and his support for a $250 million lawsuit against Twitter over allegations of “shadow banning” conservatives. “It’s different from what it used to be. Things are happening, names are taken off, people aren’t getting through,” said Trump. “It seems to be if they’re conservative, if they’re Republicans, if they’re in a certain group, there’s discrimination, big discrimination.”Neither the White House nor Facebook nor Google immediately responded to requests for comment. Twitter declined to comment. This isn’t Trump’s first time alleging that social media companies are silencing conservative voices on their platforms. In August, Trump took to Twitter to accuse social media companies of “totally discriminating against Republican/Conservative voices.” His tweets also came amid more general concerns among some conservatives about perceived bias on the part of social media and tech companies.On Tuesday, Facebook apologized to Trump’s social media director, Dan Scavino, for temporarily blocking some contents on his account on Monday, according to CNN Business. Facebook’s artificial intelligence system reportedly mistook Scavino for a bot. Tags Share your voice 8 Comments Politics Internet Mobile Digital Media Facebook Google
Women shout slogans during a protest against the government and police forces after at least nine people were killed when police fired at protesters calling for the closure of a Vedanta Resources-controlled copper smelter in Thootukudi, in southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu, in Chennai, India, May 22, 2018.REUTERS/P.RavikumarVedanta Resources is working on a legal challenge to the Tamil Nadu government’s closure of one of its copper smelters, but it will not proceed until tensions over the deaths of 13 people during protests last week have eased, two sources told Reuters.The Tamil Nadu government ordered the permanent closure of the smelter on Monday after police fired on protesters demanding its closure on environmental grounds.London-listed Vedanta, majority owned by billionaire Anil Agarwal, considers it is now left with no other option than to file a writ petition challenging the Tamil Nadu government’s decision in the Madras High Court or the Supreme Court in New Delhi, the two sources close to the company said.”They have not presented a single (piece of) evidence against the company,” said one of the sources, both of whom declined to be named. “Vedanta is confident that it has a strong case legally. It has not violated any law.”However, the sources said that with local tensions running high over the deaths of the protesters, the resources company was holding off for now from filing the legal challenge.A Vedanta spokesman did not respond to requests seeking comment. The company earlier said it had broken no rules, and hoped soon to reopen the plant and double its capacity to 800,000 tonnes a year at a cost of more than $700 million.The chief of Vedanta’s India copper business, P. Ramnath, told Reuters on Friday the company would legally fight any attempt to close the plant.D. Jayakumar, a senior Tamil Nadu minister, said the smelter was closed mainly in response to the demands of residents of the coastal city of Thoothukudi, and that the state government would defend itself in court.”We’ve closed the plant based on various violations raised by the pollution control board. They will of course say that they have not violated any rule,” Jayakumar, who speaks for the state government, told Reuters.”People are totally against the plant. We’re with the people only. We go by their demand and the law.”He declined to give details of the violations.D. Sekar, a senior official with the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board, also declined to explain the reasons, saying only that the closure was a “policy decision”.The plant, India’s second-biggest copper smelter known as Sterlite Copper, has been shut since late March for maintenance and pending a renewal of its licence, as residents continued largely peaceful protests demanding it be shut for good.Residents and environmental activists have long demanded a shutdown of the copper smelter, which has annual production of more than 400,000 tonnes, citing air and water pollution. Vedanta denies the accusations of pollution.The opposition escalated last week when thousands of people marched towards a government office on the 100th day of the protest. Ten people were killed in police firing that day, while three more died in subsequent days, piling pressure on the state government as protests spread elsewhere in the state.Minister Jayakumar said his government has been opposed to the smelter since 2013, when a suspected gas leak led to its closure for more than two months. The plant was allowed to reopen after a court-appointed team of experts found no instance of emissions beyond set limits.In recent weeks, however, Tamil Nadu has cancelled a decision to allocate a plot of land to Vedanta for a doubling of the plant’s capacity and cut its electricity connection and water supply, he said.[ Source- reuters]
Share Houston is still covered by a blanket of ice left behind by a sudden winter storm.The dangerous driving conditions are impacting flights into and out of local airports.Bush Intercontinental and Hobby are both open, but the icy roadways are proving a difficult challenge for travelers trying to get to the airports.At IAH, bridges were treated and are being monitored. The fly-over bridge from westbound Will Clayton Boulevard to southbound John F. Kennedy Boulevard is closed due to icing.The upper ramps for Terminal A, Terminal C and Terminal E — plus rooftop parking in all terminal garages — are closed.At Hobby, the upper traffic ramp for departing passengers is closed. Both arriving and departing traffic is being routed to the lower ramp. All fly-over routes are closed.As of 6 a.m., roads around both airports were passable, but some traffic was being rerouted, according to the Houston Airport System’s Fly2Houston.com website. “The Houston Airports advises all passengers to contact their carrier for more detailed flight information and confirm their flight status before coming to the airport,” Fly2Houston.com’s advisory states.