Storage: Backup Redesign Adds to Storage Demands

first_imgA survey by TheInfoPro found that Backup Redesign is a main driver of the increased demand for storage systems in organizations.  15% of the storage budget is flowing towards the redesign of backup infrastructure at Fortune 1000 companies.Those results come after interviewing 153 storage professionals.  TheInfoPro also cited the following trends as causing greater demands for storage:Regulatory ComplianceFront-end storage5% of the Fortune 1000 have an interest in oursourcing their day-to-day backup activities.  5% have more than 200,000 off-site tapes.  And 52% say that it would take more than 1100 tapes to fully restore a single data center.last_img read more

NAC approves draft National Food Security Bill

first_imgManmohan Singh with Sonia GandhiSonia Gandhi-led National Advisory Council (NAC) on Wednesday approved the draft National Food Security Bill, 2011 which aims to make provision of food support to people facing hunger a duty of the state.With the draft bill prepared by the Working Group on Food Security being legally vetted by a government law officer, the Council will now be sent it to the government.The decision approving the draft bill was taken at the meeting of the NAC on Wednesday.The bill guarantees subsidised foodgrains to at least 90 per cent of rural households, and 50 percent of urban households.According to the bill, 46 per cent of the rural and 28 per cent of urban households categorised as ‘priority group’ are entitled to receive foodgrains at 7 kg per head at Rs three, two and one for wheat or rice or millets respectively.Forty-nine per cent of the rural and 22 per cent of urban households categorised as ‘general group’ are entitled to receive foodgrains at 4 kg per head at not more than 50 per cent of the MSP of the respective foodgrain.The draft bill follows a life cycle approach and introduces a number of other universal guarantees, including nutrition support and maternity entitlements for pregnant women, nutrition support to children both in pre-school centres and in school, but also to all out of school children; destitute feeding and affordable meals for homeless and other needy urban populations; and special guarantees for starvation and emergencies.It creates also a strong accountability framework for protection of these entitlements and allows imposition of fines on defaulters and compensation to the victim.advertisementIt also envisages a strong grievance redress and monitoring system, from the centre to the block level.– With PTI inputs For more News, click here.For more news on India, click here.For more news on Business, click here.For more news on Movies, click here.For more news on Sports, click here.last_img read more

Giving up gas Chinas Shenzhen switches to electric taxis

first_imgSHENZHEN, China — One of China’s major cities has reached an environmental milestone: an almost entirely electric-powered taxi fleet.The high-tech hub of Shenzhen in southern China announced at the start of this year that 99 per cent of the 21,689 taxis operating in the city were electric. Last year, it still had 7,500 gasoline-powered taxis on the roads. A few can still be found, but electric ones far outnumber them.The metropolis of 12.5 million is the second to achieve this feat in China and the largest. The northern China city of Taiyuan, with a population of 4.3 million, has had only electric taxis since 2016.Shenzhen’s bus fleet has been all-electric since 2017. It’s one of 13 pilot cities promoting alternative-energy public transport to cut smog and develop the alternative energy industry.The Associated Presslast_img read more

Enbridge targets mid November to complete BC gas pipeline repair after blast

first_imgVICTORIA, B.C. – The company that owns the natural gas pipeline that ruptured and burned earlier this month in central British Columbia says repairs should be complete by the middle of November.Enbridge says in a statement that work to fix the 91-centimetre pipeline is underway, and subject to regulatory approval, it should be back in service in November under reduced pressure.The pipeline ruptured on Oct. 9 at a rural location about 15 kilometres northeast of Prince George, causing an explosion and huge fireball. There were no injuries and the RCMP said it did not suspect criminal activity, but the cause of the blast has yet to be determined.Enbridge says a second pipeline near the blast site was not damaged and it has been used to transport natural gas to southern B.C., on a reduced basis.FortisBC, the utility supplying natural gas to about one million B.C. customers, says residential, industrial and institutional gas users should continue with conservation efforts.Investigators from the Transportation Safety Board and the National Energy Board continue to investigate the incident.last_img read more

First time in Baghdad Irans Prez to visit Iraq

first_imgTehran: Iran’s president is making his first official visit to Iraq this week as he faces mounting pressure from hard-liners at home in the wake of the Trump administration’s unraveling of the nuclear deal. Hassan Rouhani’s trip billed as “historic and noble” by his foreign minister is meant to solidify ties between Shiite power Iran and Iraq’s Shiite led-government, a strong Tehran ally. It is also Iran’s response to President Donald Trump’s snap December trip to Iraq and the American president’s comments that US forces should stay in Iraq to keep an eye on neighbouring Iran, with which Iraq shares a 1,400-kilometer-long (870 miles) border. Also Read – Imran Khan arrives in China, to meet Prez Xi JinpingAt the time, Trump slipped into Iraq at night, without stopping in Baghdad, to greet U.S. service members at a base far from the Iraqi capital where he extolled the American troops’ fight against the Islamic State group. Rouhani later mocked Trump’s visit, asserting that flying into Iraq under the cover of darkness meant “defeat” for the US in Iraq and asking the US president why he didn’t make an “open and official visit.” “You have to walk in the streets of Baghdad … to find out how people will welcome you,” Rouhani said at the time. Also Read – US blacklists 28 Chinese entities over abuses in XinjiangRouhani’s visit to Iraq will provide an opportunity for reaching “serious understandings” between the two neighbors, Iran’s top diplomat, Mohammad Javad Zarif told the official IRNA news agency from Baghdad, where he was preparing for Rouhani’s three-day visit that starts on Monday. Rouhani, who had visited Iraq privately before becoming president, had planned an official visit in 2016 but that one was cancelled over unspecified “executive” problems. This time, Rouhani, who is on a second four-year-term, is particularly vulnerable because of the economic crisis assailing the Iranian rial, which has hurt ordinary Iranians and emboldened critics to openly call for the president’s ouster. Tehran sees the US military presence at its doorstep in Iraq as a threat one that could also undermine Iran’s influence over Baghdad. Zarif alluded to that on Sunday, saying that any country which tries to interfere with the good Iran-Iraq relations would “be deprived of opportunities for itself.” Iran also sees Iraq as a possible route to bypass US sanctions that Trump re-imposed last year after pulling the U.S. out of the 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers.last_img read more

USled West using Christianity to subvert Chinese state politics

first_imgBeijing: A Chinese official accused “anti-China forces” in the West of using Christianity to subvert the country’s political power and said worshippers must follow a Chinese form of religion. China’s officially atheist government, which oversees religious groups through state-sponsored institutions, has tightened its grip on all faiths in recent years. “Anti-China forces in the West are attempting to continue to influence the social stability of our country through Christianity, and even subvert the political power of our country,” Xu Xiaohong, chairman of the state-backed National Three-Self Patriotic Movement Committee, which oversees the Protestant churches, said on Monday. Also Read – Imran Khan arrives in China, to meet Prez Xi JinpingSpeaking at the annual gathering of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), a largely ceremonial advisory body, Xu described the introduction of Christianity in China as “accompanying the intense colonial aggression by the West”. Only by incorporating Chinese culture into Christianity would the religion become something Chinese people could identify with, said Xu. For those who “subvert national security in the name of Christianity, we support the country in bringing them to justice,” he added. Also Read – US blacklists 28 Chinese entities over abuses in XinjiangHis remarks come days after the US envoy for religious freedom, Sam Brownback, said the Chinese government was “at war with faith”, persecuting Muslim Uighurs, Tibetan Buddhists, Christians and Falungong practitioners. In China, Protestants are split between unofficial and state-sanctioned churches, where Communist Party songs also feature in the order of service. Over the past year, unofficial “house” or “underground” churches have faced increasing pressure, with some church members detained under subversion charges. In December, the pastor of the Early Rain Covenant Church, a prominent unofficial Protestant congregation in southwest Sichuan province, was detained in a police raid under charges of “inciting subversion of state power,” according to the church. In September, Beijing officials also shut down Zion Church, one of China’s largest unofficial Protestant churches, for operating without a licence in the capital – before ordering it to pay back 1.2 million yuan (USD 170,000) in rent and removal costs. Catholics – who are similarly split between official and underground churches – Muslims and Buddhists have also faced increasing pressure to toe the party line.last_img read more

Mamata thanks oppn leaders for backing her

first_imgKolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday thanked the leaders of opposition parties, who came out in her support as she protested against the Election Commission’s decision to cut short the poll campaign duration in the state. “Thanks and gratitude to @Mayawati, @yadavakhilesh, @INCIndia, @ncbn and others for expressing solidarity and support to us and the people of #Bengal. EC’s biased actions under the directions of the #BJP are a direct attack on democracy. People will give a befitting reply,” she tweeted. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja The poll panel on Wednesday cut short campaigning for the last round of voting in West Bengal, in the wake of violence between the BJP and the TMC workers in Kolkata. The campaign closing time has been advanced to Thursday 10pm in the nine Lok Sabha seats – Dum Dum, Barasat, Basirhat, Joynagar, Mathurapur, Diamond Harbour, Jadavpur, Calcutta South and Calcutta North. Accusing the Election Commission of acting on the instructions of the BJP, Banerjee said the move was “unethical and unconstitutional”.last_img read more

The waiting game Santana continues to hit while awaiting callup

The Cleveland Indians have had a rough start to the 2010 season with a 10-14 record, and many fans are ready to see if some of the top prospects from the Class AAA Columbus Clippers can make a difference.The player that many are eager to see in an Indians uniform is Columbus Clippers catcher Carlos Santana.In 2008, Santana was acquired along with pitcher Jon Meloan in a trade with the Los Angeles Dodgers for Casey Blake.Santana, a switch-hitter, has proven to be valuable on offense and defense for the Clippers, and is considered the top prospect in the Indians’ organization.Offensively, Santana has started off the 2010 season with a .324 batting average, five home runs, and 22 RBIs.“I think he has a really great bat,” Clippers infielder Brian Bixler said. “He’s a great player. He has a plan when he’s at the plate and you can see that.”Santana leads the team in walks, home runs, RBIs and on-base percentage, and was the International League Player of the Week in his first week with the Clippers.“Right now, I’m happy to be thought of as a top prospect,” Santana said. “I’m continuing to put in the hard work especially on the defensive end.”Last year, Santana played for the Class AA Akron Aeros, for which he hit .290 with 23 home runs and 97 RBIs.Santana was named the MVP of the Eastern League in 2009, becoming only the third Aero to earn the award along with Jordan Brown and Victor Martinez.This was his second-straight league MVP award as he earned MVP of the California League in 2008.While he spent the final six weeks of the 2008 season with the Class A Kinston Indians in the Carolina League, he finished second in the California League with a .323 batting average. He also had 96 RBIs, 69 walks and a .431 on-base percentage.The Indians hope that Santana can step in and produce as they try to replace departed catchers Victor Martinez and Kelly Shoppach.Martinez was traded last July for pitching prospects Justin Masterson, Nick Hagadone and Bryan Price. Martinez, who played for the Indians for eight seasons, consistently hit for power and a strong batting average.Shoppach was traded to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays after the 2009 season for pitchers Saul Rivera and Mitch Talbot. Shoppach showed some promise for the Indians, batting .261 with 21 home runs in 2008.The Indians have featured two catchers this season, Lou Marson and Mike Redmond.Marson has received the majority of the playing time and has a .224 batting average, with no home runs or RBIs in 16 games played.Redmond has a .233 batting average with two RBIs and no home runs in nine games.While Santana has only played catcher for three years, he has proven to have the talent and arm strength to contribute from the position. He previously had played third base and outfield.“It’s a great feeling as a pitcher to have somebody back there with a really good arm, and knowing that you have somebody behind the plate that will give you a good chance of throwing a runner out if you make a bad pitch,” Clippers relief pitcher Jess Todd said.In spring training with the Indians, Santana batted .250 in eight games, but was sent to the Clippers for the start of the season to improve his defense.“I think I’m having a good season,” Santana said. “I’m just working with the pitchers and trying to improve at game-calling. After playing with the Indians in spring training, I feel comfortable with their pitchers. I know what kind of arms they have and some of their pitches so I would be comfortable with them.”There has been no word of a possible call-up to the Indians at this point in the season, even given the struggles of Marson and Redmond. For now, Clippers fans have an opportunity to watch one of baseball’s top prospects in a minor league uniform.“He’s here until further notice,” Clippers manager Mike Sarbaugh said. read more

Man Utd interested resigning former defender

first_imgManchester United have reportedly entered the race to sign West Brom captain Jonny Evans at the end of the season, claim The SunJose Mourinho is currently in need of a new centre-back for this summer’s transfer window and has reportedly become interested in the prospect of taking Evans back to Old Trafford.The Northern Ireland international had been strongly linked with moves to both Manchester City and Arsenal during the January transfer window before City signed Aymeric Laporte from Athletico Bilbao and the Gunners decided to not pursue their interest any further.harry maguire, manchester UnitedMaguire says United need to build on today’s win George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Harry Maguire wants his United teammates to build on the victory over Leicester City.During the summer, Harry Maguire was referred to as the ultimate…Currently, West Brom is at the bottom of the Premier League standings and look set to be relegated, which will allow Evans to leave the club at the end of the season for as little as £4m due to a clause in his contract.The Baggies must beat Newcastle this weekend to stand any chance of continuing their bid for survival with the club eight points outside the safety zone with only three games remaining.last_img read more

Mourinho – United didnt improve

first_imgManchester United manager Jose Mourinho bemoans their lack of activity in the last transfer window, saying “everyone improved except us”.United failed to sign their center-back targets in the summer transfer window, Mourinho, however, managed to bring in Fred and Diogo Dalot spending £80m in the process.Except for Tottenham Hotspur, the top six clubs were all active in the last window, and the Portuguese boss believes United are behind their rivals because of their lack of signings, arguing that Spurs already had a quality team.“The distance [between United and top four] is something I couldn’t predict,” Mourinho told Sky Sports.Jose Mourinho, Lionel MessiMourinho: “Lionel Messi made me a better coach” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho believes the experience of going up against Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi at Real Madrid made him a greater coach.“You always think in a positive way, you always think the distance is not going to be so big.“But I said clearly, last season we didn’t get the credit we deserved. To finish second, to play the FA Cup final and to qualify as winners in our Champions League group – we didn’t get the credit we deserved at all.“All the teams they got better, Spurs was the team that did not make a direct investment, but the best investment is to keep the top players that you have. So every team got better and we didn’t.”last_img read more