Benitez still has faith in Newcastle United

first_imgThe Spanish manager believes his team can still be saved this season, despite losing 2-1 against Chelsea and slipping into the bottom three of the Premier.After losing 2-1 against Chelsea in yesterday’s fixture of the English Premier League, Newcastle United fell into the 18th position.The Magpies have now only 4 wins, six draws, and 12 defeats so far in the 2018-2019 season.And are just 7 points ahead of the EPL’s last club Huddersfield Town.But Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez is still hopeful his team can be saved.Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“What I can see is that we have to stay calm,” he said to The Chronicle.“Next week will be massive against Cardiff but we still have to win more games than that.”“We have to do well in the rest of the season,” he explained.“I have confidence in the team and if we continue working like today we will have chances to get points against teams that will be closer to us.”last_img read more

Ramona man facing prison for selling heroin that led to fatal overdose

first_img Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: June 25, 2019 Ramona man facing prison for selling heroin that led to fatal overdose June 25, 2019 KUSI Newsroom SAN DIEGO ( KUSI) – A Ramona man is facing at least 20 years in federal prison for selling heroin that resulted in a 23-year-old man’s fatal overdose, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.Maxwell Joseph Gaffney, 25, was convicted late Monday of distribution of heroin resulting in death in connection with the Feb. 17, 2017, death of Kyle J. Rodriguez.Text messages and emails presented at trial showed that Gaffney sold about half a gram of black tar heroin to Rodriguez just hours before his girlfriend found him collapsed in the bathroom of his parents’ Ramona home.Rodriguez was instructed by Gaffney via text to leave money for the drugs inside Gaffney’s mailbox, according to prosecutors.Despite his problems with addiction, prosecutors said Rodriguez had achieved “months of sobriety” prior to his death, as confirmed by regular random drug screenings.Gaffney’s attorneys argued that Rodriguez had another source of heroin that supplied him with the fatal dose, though prosecutors said no such other supplier could be found through a search of Rodriguez’s cell phone.A federal jury convicted Gaffney after about two hours of deliberations, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.He’s slated to be sentenced Sept. 23.“These purveyors of poisons are killing our citizens and tearing apart the fabric of our families,” U.S. Attorney Robert Brewer said. “We must continue to combat the opioid crisis by every possible means at our disposal.” KUSI Newsroom, last_img read more

Alaska Man Killed After Being Partially Buried By Avalanche

first_imgTroopers requested a medical flight from the Alaska Air National Guard, which deployed a Pave Hawk helicopter and a fixed wing aircraft from Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson to the avalanche site, located about 9 miles (14 kilometers) southwest of the city of Whittier. It wasn’t immediately clear if each person had their own snowmobile or if people had doubled up to ride near the glacier. Alaska State Troopers identified the victim of the Wednesday afternoon accident as Chad Christman. He was part of a group of people riding snowmobiles near Blackstone Glacier, about 60 miles (96 kilometers) southeast of Anchorage, Lt. Col. Candis Olmstead with the Alaska National Guard said in an email. The avalanche caught six of the snowmobilers. “Five were OK, but one person had to be dug out,” she wrote. Two witnesses on snowmobiles reported to troopers that they saw Christman buried by the avalanche. “When they arrived at Blackstone Glacier, at 4,800-foot (1,463-meter) elevation, a landing area for the helicopter had been stamped into the snow by the snowmachine group,” Olmstead wrote. Snowmachines are what Alaskans call snowmobiles. “When the avalanche stopped, Christman was only partially buried,” troopers said in a web posting. “The two men and other people in the area were able to dig Christman out. CPR was started.” Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A 41-year-old Anchorage man driving a snowmobile in Alaska’s backcountry died after being partially buried by an avalanche, officials said Thursday. Christman was transported to an Anchorage hospital but didn’t survive, troopers said. It wasn’t immediately clear what caused the avalanche or how big it was. A message sent to the Chugach National Forest Avalanche Information Center wasn’t immediately returned Thursday.last_img read more

WikiLeaks talks central to Michael Cohens testimony on Trump

first_img Share your voice Tags Now playing: Watch this: Originally published Feb. 26 at 10:36 p.m. PT.Updated Feb. 27 at 6:54 a.m. PT: Added response from WikiLeaks. At 8:18 a.m.: Added details from Cohen’s hearings on WikiLeaks. At 8:33 a.m.: Added Cohen’s remarks on the Twitter persona “Women for Cohen.” At 9:16 a.m.: Added Cohen comments on Trump’s Twitter account. At 9:44 a.m.: Added comments from lawmakers on WikiLeaks. At 11:16 a.m.: With details on Trump’s campaign involvement with RedFinch Solutions. “A lot of people have asked me about whether Mr. Trump knew about the release of the hacked Democratic National Committee emails ahead of time. The answer is yes,” Cohen said in his opening remarks.In the prepared testimony, Cohen recalled a time when Stone told Trump he had spoken with Assange days before “there would be a massive dump of emails that would damage Hillary Clinton’s campaign.”Cohen added that Trump responded, “Wouldn’t that be great.”WikiLeaks pushed back against the allegations on Twitter, writing that it has “always denied speaking to Roger Stone.”In a statement to multiple news outlets, including Newsweek, Stone refuted the account. “Mr. Cohen’s statement is not true,” he said.Rep. Elijah Cummings, a Democrat from Maryland and the Oversight and Reform Committee chair, said the hearing originally wouldn’t take questions on the subject. However, he said the committee wouldn’t restrict questions about WikiLeaks after the prepared remarks. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who was chair of the DNC during the hack, questioned Cohen about details indicating Russian involvement with Trump’s campaign. “He had advanced notice that there was going to be a dump of emails, but at no time did I hear the specificity of what those emails were going to be,” Cohen told lawmakers, referring to the president.Rep. Jim Jordan, a Republican from Ohio, questioned Cohen on his credibility, pointing to a Twitter account, “Women For Cohen,” that the former attorney paid to tweet about his attractiveness. In response to the false persona on Twitter, Cohen laughed and smiled. He told Jordan, “We were having fun,” and said the Twitter account was a joke.The account was created by the IT firm RedFinch Solutions, which Cohen originally hired to rig results in online polls on Trump’s popularity. The firm used bots and algorithms to manipulate poll results for CNBC and Drudge at Trump’s direction, Cohen said.Cohen told lawmakers he feared for his family’s safety because of Trump’s immense influence on Twitter. Noting the president’s huge following — he has more than 58 million followers on the social network — Cohen said he was worried about Trump influencing people on social media to go after his loved ones. “When he goes on Twitter, and he starts bringing in my in-laws, my parents, my wife, what does he think is going to happen?” Cohen said. “He’s sending out the same message, that he can do whatever he wants.”On Wednesday morning, Trump tweeted to describe Cohen as a liar, and he isn’t the only politician attacking Cohen on the social network. Rep. Matt Gaetz, a Republican from Florida, tweeted at Cohen on Tuesday, threatening to blackmail him over infidelity. Gaetz has since deleted the tweet and apologized.Cohen said when Trump tweeted that he was a “rat” on Dec. 16, he was suddenly bombarded with hate messages on Twitter and Facebook.”I’ve had to turn over these messages to Secret Service because they are the most vile, disgusting statements that anyone can receive,” Cohen said.’Not fake news. Old news’Rep. Thomas Massie, a Republican from Kentucky, backed WikiLeaks’ argument that Assange had publicly announced the email leaks before Trump’s campaign learned about it. He held up a printout of an article from The Guardian, in which Assange said WikiLeaks had upcoming leaks regarding Clinton. “Mr. Assange reported to the media on June 12 that those emails would be leaked,” Massie said. “I’m not saying you have fake news, I’m saying you have old news.”The flood of Clinton campaign emails played a significant role in the election, both as headline news and the basis for internet conspiracy theories later on. The US government has since said those emails were given to WikiLeaks by Russian hackers attempting to sway the election in Trump’s favor.The testimony marks the first time someone from the president’s inner circle has testified that Trump had knowledge of the emails before they were released. Previously, Stone — who has been indicted for allegedly lying to Congress — denied those connections.The White House, in a statement to CNN, Newsweek and other publications, noted that Cohen is going to prison for lying. “Sadly, he will go before Congress this week and we can expect more of the same,” Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said. “It’s laughable that anyone would take a convicted liar like Cohen at his word, and pathetic to see him given yet another opportunity to spread his lies.”Representatives for the White House, Cohen and Stone didn’t immediately responded to requests for comment.Russian hackers stole hundreds of thousands of emails from the Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee, according to indictments from special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation. The stolen emails were posted on WikiLeaks, as well as DCLeaks, a page Russian hackers created posing as Americans. The same day that Trump encouraged Russia to hack Clinton’s emails, Russian hackers made their first attempt to spear-phish email accounts from Clinton’s campaign.Below is the opening statement that Cohen submitted to the committee before his hearing. Hacking WikiLeaks Donald Trump 9center_img 4:39 Comments Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump’s former lawyer, is set to publicly testify to Congress Wednesday. Getty Images President Donald Trump’s former attorney Michael Cohen testified that his boss had been aware of an adviser’s communications with WikiLeaks ahead of the release of damaging information about opponent Hillary Clinton’s campaign in 2016.In prepared testimony posted to the House Oversight and Reform Committee’s website, Cohen said that Roger Stone, Trump’s now-indicted adviser, had told the president about his communications with Julian Assange, the editor of WikiLeaks. Cohen is testifying publicly on Capitol Hill Wednesday. The hearing is being streamed live on CBS News. Politics Tech Industry Cohen says Trump knew about WikiLeaks’ dumplast_img read more

Trump Twitter Facebook Google are colluding to silence conservatives

first_imgPresident Donald Trump said “we have to do something” about social media companies.  Getty Images President Donald Trump is again alleging that social media companies are biased against conservatives.During a joint press conference with Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro on Tuesday, Trump said “we have to do something” about social media companies discriminating against conservatives on their platforms. “Something is happening with those groups of folks that are running Facebook, Google and Twitter,” said Trump. “I do think we have to get to the bottom of it … It’s collusive and it’s very, very fair to say that we have to do something about it.”Trump’s comments came after he was asked whether he’d consider laws that made social media platforms liable for content posted on their sites and his support for a $250 million lawsuit against Twitter over allegations of “shadow banning” conservatives. “It’s different from what it used to be. Things are happening, names are taken off, people aren’t getting through,” said Trump. “It seems to be if they’re conservative, if they’re Republicans, if they’re in a certain group, there’s discrimination, big discrimination.”Neither the White House nor Facebook nor Google immediately responded to requests for comment. Twitter declined to comment. This isn’t Trump’s first time alleging that social media companies are silencing conservative voices on their platforms. In August, Trump took to Twitter to accuse social media companies of “totally discriminating against Republican/Conservative voices.” His tweets also came amid more general concerns among some conservatives about perceived bias on the part of social media and tech companies.On Tuesday, Facebook apologized to Trump’s social media director, Dan Scavino, for temporarily blocking some contents on his account on Monday, according to CNN Business. Facebook’s artificial intelligence system reportedly mistook Scavino for a bot.  Tags Share your voice 8 Comments Politics Internet Mobile Digital Media Facebook Googlelast_img read more

14 killed as mortars hit Afghan market

first_imgAt least 14 people were killed and dozens more wounded when a busy market in northern Afghanistan was hit by mortar fire, officials said Saturday.Several Taliban shells hit the market Friday morning in the Khwaja Sabz Posh district of Faryab province, according to Hanif Rezaee, an Afghan army spokesman.”Fourteen civilians were killed and 40 — including women and children — were wounded,” Rezaee told AFP.He said the Taliban had been trying to hit an army checkpoint near the market. The insurgent group did not immediately comment.Naem Musamim, Faryab’s public health director, said 14 bodies and 39 wounded people including four children had been taken to local hospitals.Some victims with critical injuries were airlifted to hospitals in Mazar-i-Sharif in Balkh province.The deadly incident comes as the war between the Taliban and Afghan security forces rages on, even as Taliban officials are meeting with US negotiators in Doha in a bid to bring about an end to the conflict.On Sunday, the insurgents will meet in the Qatari capital with various representatives from Afghan society as part of a potential peace process.last_img read more

Regulators Reviewing Drilling Rig Safety Rules

first_imgU.S. Coast GuardAnchor-handling tugboats battle the blazing remnants of the off shore oil rig Deepwater Horizon.A man from Katy, Texas is still unaccounted for after an oil rig explosion in Louisiana. The U.S. Coast Guard suspended its search for Timothy Morrison on Monday. The incident comes amid a broader re-thinking of drilling rig safety rules. The explosion happened in Louisiana waters, and the platform wasn’t subject to federal regulations.Still, being on any rig is inherently dangerous. We know that from the Deepwater Horizon disaster, and regulators are rethinking rules designed to keep that scale of an explosion from happening again.“The ultimate goal is to identify ways to remove or reduce some of the burden on the industry,” said Greg Julian, a spokesperson for the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement, which is handling the review.At a September forum in Houston, the Bureau heard recommendations from oil and gas companies. The American Petroleum Institute has a 50-page list of parts of the rule it wants deleted or changed. Companies say it costs time and money, and the administrative burdens distract from a focus on safety.Alexandra Adams, with the Natural Resources Defense Council, doesn’t agree.“This review is just simply bad policy and puts workers, and our resources, at risk,” she said.There’s still no timeline on when the Bureau’s review will be completed. Sharelast_img read more

BT is set to boost its music offering through a st

first_imgBT is set to boost its music offering through a streaming deal with major label Universal Music. The agreement, which is yet to be formally announced, will see BT initially offer some 150 albums to stream, with plans to expand this offering with more content and label deals.The deal will extend BT’s existing TV music offering, which already includes music videos, live concerts, documentaries and karaoke – with viewers able to watch different playlists or a select their favourite music videos.This is free to BT Unlimited TV package customers, or costs £3 (€3.60) per-month as a bolt-on to other BT TV packages.The news came as BT signed a deal with the NBA to air exclusive live TV coverage of top basketball games and programmes on BT Sports in the UK and Ireland.last_img read more