Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Haiti, March 4, 2018 – Port-Au-Prince – Prime Minister, Dr. the Hon. Hubert A. Minnis said he “expects to see” certain fruits and vegetables from the Republic of Haiti being directly imported into The Bahamas by as early as December 2018, as a result of discussions with Haiti’s President, His Excellency Jovenel Moise.The move is expected to impact the large quantities of fruits and vegetables already being imported into the country (particularly mangoes) from second and sometimes third countries and/or entities that purchase the produce from Haiti in the first instance before exporting them to The Bahamas. Bahamian officials say this process adds to costs for Bahamians.The Prime Minister’s announcement came during a Joint Press Conference that followed a High-Level Meeting between Prime Minister Minnis and President Moise. The expected outcome is contingent upon the potential direct imports meeting standards set by The Bahamas’ Ministry of Agriculture and Marine Resources.The Government of The Bahamas, under the auspices of the Ministry of Agriculture and Marine Resources, recently established a Standards Bureau to ensure the safety and security of marine and agricultural imports into the country.[Minister of Agriculture and Marine Resources, the Hon. Renward Wells, participated in the High-Level Meeting along with the (Acting) Director of Agriculture, Mr. Gregory Rahming.]Bahamian officials say other benefits could include reduced costs on fruits and vegetables for Bahamian consumers and businesses.“President Moise has said to his Minister of Agriculture that by December 2018, he wants to see fruits and vegetables from Haiti — meeting all the criteria and conditions that we spoke about — flowing into The Bahamas,” Prime Minister Minnis said.“I want to paraphrase [the] President, and this is to my Minister of Agriculture the Hon. Renward Wells, that you have been given the Green Light, you must go; do not allow the Orange light to come on because after that it is the Red Light, and I do not want you to become history.”Prime Minister Minnis said purchasing fruits and vegetables directly from Haiti “cuts out that number two and that number three man, thereby allowing for the purchase of quality products directly from the source.”The ability to purchase quality fruits and vegetables directly from Haiti rather than second and third countries and/or entities, should impact Bahamians at the checkout lines.By: Matt Maura (BIS) Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:
Here’s What You Should Know Before Dipping Your Toes In The Online Dating Pool Close Earlier this week, Google suspended the Chinese developer – Do Global, which was reported to committing the Ad click fraud by automatically clicking on ads on behalf of users, according to BuzzFeed News. The Search giant removed nearly 50 apps of the developer, which were registered under Do Global and under some other generic names like “Pic Tools Group” and “Photo Artist Studio”. Now, renowned file managing app – ES File Explorer – seems to face the wrath of Google. The search giant has unlisted the ES File Explorer from the Play Store.ES File Explorer is a well-known and longest running file manager, though its popularity has declined as it passed from one developer to another. Recently, it is uploaded under the name of ‘ES Global’ on the Play Store, though the app is actually owned by ‘Du Global’. As LinkedIn confirms, Du is a subdivision of DO Global, which is caught in the Ad click fraud scandal.A few years back, ES File Explorer was listed among the best file manager apps for Android. But since it sold to the third party and stayed in news for bad causes – unwanted charging screen, an unwavering stream of ads, and an unsettling vulnerability allowing others to steal your files by being on the same network – many users switched to alternative apps like Solid Explorer or Files by Google. ES File Explorer removed from Play StoreES File ExplorerDO Global had round 100 apps on the Play Store and had a total of 600 million installs. Last year, in a similar course of action, 8 apps from Cheetah Mobile and its subsidiary Kika were removed by Google due to similar ad fraud. Google asked the developer to resubmit its apps with an improved version.QuickPic, one of these notorious apps owned by Cheetah Mobile, has now been listed on Play Store again. In a statement, the company said to Android Police that QuickPic was not removed due to click fraud. Same way, Google can ask DU Global to resubmit its apps and ES File Explorer might return with changes in future. Until then, if you are using ES File Explorer, then you should uninstall it and should wait for an improved version or use an alternate app. Google Play Protect system now scans over 50 billion apps on users’ devices each day to make sure apps installed on the device aren’t behaving in harmful waysGoogle Blog (screen-shot)Moreover, Do Global has also released its official statement regarding the recent scandal. The company has claimed to do an internal investigation and has apologized for irregularities in some of their products. IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPauseMute0:01/2:09Loaded: 0%0:01Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE-2:08?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading …
At least 26 people, including police and journalists, were injured in clashes between local leaders and activists of ruling Awami League and BNP during Victory Day celebration in Chuadanga, Lalmonirhat and Thakurgaon on Saturday, according to UNB.In Chuadanga, a chase and counter chase took place between leaders and activists of AL and BNP in a rally marking victory day in Dharshana area of Damurhuda upazila in the morning, leaving seven leaders and activists of the both parties injured.Shonit Kumar Gain, officer-in-charge of Dharshana police investigation camp, said that the victory day rally was brought out from Dharshana College field. Different organisations including AL and BNP unit of the municipal took part in the rally.A tense situation prevailed as the leaders and activists of BNP entered the rally. At one stage, a group of BNP leaders and supporters marched ahead from the main rally.Enraged, a section of AL leaders and activists attacked on them. Later, the chase and counter chase took place between the parties, leaving seven injured, said the OC.However, police brought the situation under control.In Lalmonirhat, at least 13 people including two police men and two newsmen in a clash between the leaders and activists of AL and BNP.Mehedi Hasan Jewel, district correspondent of Asian Television and Jinnatul Islam Jinna, correspondent of Pratidin Sangbad, were injured while they were taking photographs of the clash. Besides, Sushanto Kumar Sarker, assistant superintendent of police (A-circle), sub-inspector Alamgir and nine other leaders and activists of both parties were injured in the clash.Mahfuz Alam, officer-in-charge of Lalmonirhat police station, said that district BNP unit brought out a Victory Day rally from Zila Railway Jatiyatabadi Sramik Dal office around 11:00am.The clash ensued when the leaders and activists of the ruling party obstructed the rally.A chase and counter chase took place.Police fired five rounds of rubber bullets to bring the situation under control.In Thakurgaon, six leaders and activists of Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) and Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal (JCD) were injured in a clash between the student wings of ruling AL and BNP over supremacy at Hajipara area of the district town on Saturday.The injured were – an assistant secretary of district BCL, Md Barshan, 23, and JCD activists Md Antar, Hridoy, Musa, Raju and Anik Islam.According to the locals, Barshan and Antar’s groups had dispute for a long time over supremacy in the town.The two groups involved in the clash beside a clinic of Hajipara at noon with sharp weapons leaving six of them critically injured, said ATM Sifatul Mazdar, police inspector (investigation) of Thakurgaon Sadar police station.Md Antar was taken to Rangpur Medical College Hospital in a serious condition, while the rest of the five were admitted to Thakurgaon Modern Sadar Hospital.Police detained one for interrogation and recovered five sharp weapons in a drive at the area, said the inspector.
Barack ObamaOutgoing US president Barack Obama in an interview to CBS on “60 Minutes” programme said that he doesn’t think Donald Trump’s “improvisational” campaign style will work well at the White House level, and warned Americans to not “underestimate the guy”.Obama, in his final interview as the US president, said on Sunday that he told Trump, and would advise Republicans in Congress and voters, “just to make sure that as we go forward, certain norms, certain institutional traditions don’t get eroded, because there’s a reason they’re in place.”“It had been an ‘unusual’ transition,” said Obama, adding, “I suspect the President-elect would agree with that”. Obama said that Trump is in the process of building up an organisation that will support his presidency.“We’ll have to see how that works,” Obama told “60 Minutes” Steve Kroft. “It will be a test, I think, for him and the people he’s designated to be able to execute on his vision.”“We are moving into an era where a lot of people get their information through tweets and soundbites… There’s a power in that. There’s also a danger—what generates a headline or stirs up a controversy and gets attention isn’t the same as the process required to actually solve the problem,” Obama said.The outgoing President said “thick skin” and “stamina” are important qualities to have when serving as the Commander-in-Chief, adding that he believes he is the same person today as he was at the beginning of his tenure.Obama said “thick skin helps” in getting the complex presidential job done. He also recommended that a US President has to be physically strong enough and must not get distracted by critics in the government and the media.“I think your ability to—not just mentally and emotionally but physically be able to say, ‘We got this. We’re going to be okay’,” is important, said Obama.Obama also said that he is proud that his basic character and outlook did not change during his tenure. “…People who are closest to me will tell you that—the guy who came here is the same guy who’s leaving,” he said of himself.Obama also said he had been “disturbed” about intelligence reports over Russia hacking the US election.“I have been concerned about the degree to which, in some circles, you’ve seen people suggest that Vladimir Putin has more credibility than the US government,” Obama said.“I think that’s something new, and I think it’s a measure of how the partisan divide has gotten so severe that people forget that we’re on the same team,” he said.Reflecting on his own presidency, Obama said while he was effective “in shaping public opinion” around his two successful presidential bids, he “lost the PR battle” in building support around some of his administration’s policy initiatives.“There were big stretches, while governing, where even though we were doing the right thing, we weren’t able to mobilize public opinion firmly enough behind us to weaken the resolve of the Republicans to stop opposing us or to cooperate with us,” Obama said.
At least 14 people were killed and dozens more wounded when a busy market in northern Afghanistan was hit by mortar fire, officials said Saturday.Several Taliban shells hit the market Friday morning in the Khwaja Sabz Posh district of Faryab province, according to Hanif Rezaee, an Afghan army spokesman.”Fourteen civilians were killed and 40 — including women and children — were wounded,” Rezaee told AFP.He said the Taliban had been trying to hit an army checkpoint near the market. The insurgent group did not immediately comment.Naem Musamim, Faryab’s public health director, said 14 bodies and 39 wounded people including four children had been taken to local hospitals.Some victims with critical injuries were airlifted to hospitals in Mazar-i-Sharif in Balkh province.The deadly incident comes as the war between the Taliban and Afghan security forces rages on, even as Taliban officials are meeting with US negotiators in Doha in a bid to bring about an end to the conflict.On Sunday, the insurgents will meet in the Qatari capital with various representatives from Afghan society as part of a potential peace process.
Kolkata: Mayor Firhad Hakim passed a clear message to the hawkers on Tuesday saying they should not encroach beyond 50 feet distance of the crossings in the city and that using of plastic is discarded while running the business.Hakim held a meeting with the affected hawkers in the Gariahat fire and several hawkers’ organisations in the presence of senior officials of police and Fire department. In and around 58 crossings in the city encroachment has become a big problem. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killed”They have been asked to remove the plastics used and the trolley-based stalls that they are due to get will have shed. We are planning to give them special type of umbrellas so that customers do not get drenched during monsoons. I have seen this type of umbrellas in Thailand that can be made here as well,” Hakim said. A model of the trolley-based stall which will be 5 to 6 feet long and 3 to 4 feet wide will be taken to Gariahat on Thursday so that the hawkers see and decide whether it is serving their purpose. “We are formulating hawkers’ policy to regulate them in the city. They have already agreed to only occupy one third space of the pavements. Police will demarcate the place and if they flout action will be taken as per law,” Hakim said. The Mayor said the one time compensation of Rs 20,000 to each of the affected hawkers will be directly transferred to the bank accounts through RTGS by the weekend. A list of the affected hawkers has been prepared by Gariahat police station.
Travelweek Group Tags: Aeroplan, Park’N Fly Tuesday, February 7, 2017 Posted by Tweet MISSISSAUGA — Park’N Fly has a new promotion for Aeroplan members. Valid until the end of March, Aeroplan members can earn 4X the points when they stay at Park’N Fly Self-Park locations in Ottawa and Edmonton and earn 2X the points at one of Park’N Fly’s Valet locations in Toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver.Members must present promotional code PF88 at the participating Self Park locations and promotional code PF89 at participating Valet locations to receive bonus miles. A minimum four-day stay is required.This bonus mile promotion is in addition to the regular miles Aeroplan members earn when they stay at Park’N Fly. Members earn 100 base Aeroplan Miles for every Valet stay in Toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver, and 50 base Aeroplan Miles for every Self Park stay in Edmonton, Ottawa, Halifax and Toronto.Park’N Fly Rewards Member also earn 50% more Aeroplan Miles each time they use their Park’N Fly Rewards card.More news: Save the dates! Goway’s Africa Roadshow is backVisit parknfly.ca/aeroplan for information. Members can earn 4X the bonus miles with Park’N Fly << Previous PostNext Post >>
Tuesday, July 11, 2017 << Previous PostNext Post >> Hawaii looking to increase accommodation tax Tags: Hawaii Share WAILUKU, Hawaii — Hawaii Gov. David Ige expressed support for raising the state’s transient accommodations tax by 1 per cent while maintaining the counties’ share of hotel room taxes at $93 million.Ige said Friday he opposed a 2.75 percentage point increase in the transient accommodations tax, or hotel room tax, that had been proposed by House and Senate money committees in late April, shortly before the end of this year’s lawmaking session.The governor said a 2.75 percentage point increase – from 9.25 per cent to 12 per cent, bringing in another $1.3 billion over 10 years – would be “too big a burden to be borne by the visitor industry.”Instead, Ige said a 1 percentage point increase would “be a reasonable increase, especially if it’s for a specific period of time and would go toward helping to fund the transit project.”Ige’s comments came the same day lawmakers announced a special session to address rail funding would be held Aug. 28 to Sept. 1.More news: Windstar celebrates record-breaking bookings in JulySenate President Ronald Kouchi and House Speaker Scott Saiki have assured the Federal Transit Administration they intend to hold a special session to resolve the funding crisis for rail, which has had its cost estimate skyrocket from $5.2 billion a few years ago to the current estimate of $10 billion, the Maui News reported.Ige said something needs to be done for rail to move forward.“Ultimately, it is clear that additional funds are needed and so certainly a contribution from the transient accommodations tax for a period of time certainly is something that I would be open to consider,” he said.When asked what he believes would be an appropriate allocation of hotel room tax funds for the state’s four main counties, which saw their share fall from $103 million to $93 million this year, Ige said he believes the lower amount is “fair.”County officials have been adamant that the counties deserve a greater share of the hotel room tax revenue.More news: Rome enforces ban on sitting on Spanish StepsMaui County Council Chairman Mike White has argued from 2007 to 2015 counties have incurred more than $170 million in additional costs for parks and fire and police services. However, in that time period, the counties have received only another $2.2 million in room tax revenue, while the state has taken in an increased portion of $196.6 million. Source: The Associated Press